Setting up the Drop Target Question Object
The Drop Target question object is configured by providing several answer objects from which the learner can choose. The learner will drag and drop the correct answers objects into a target object. The visual effect of dropping the answers into the target is accomplished by the target being on a layer higher than the answer objects. The answers appear to be dropped into the target, when they are actually in a layer behind the target object.
The following example will show the names of six sports teams and the learner must correctly drag the NFL teams into the target box.
Add an information field to the page to explain the goal of the question
- Add a text field to a ToolBook page, and type into it a question or an objective for the exercise: Drag the labels that represent NFL football teams and drop them into the box.
Add the 6 Drag objects to the page (the Answers)
- Add a text field to the page
- Change the field name to Cowboys
- Type the text Dallas Cowboys into the field. The text can be centered and sized as desired.
- Repeat this process 5 times and change the field names and text entries to Pittsburgh Pirates, Tennessee Titans, Seattle Seahawks, Boston Celtics and Miami Dolphins.
- Position the 6 answer fields exactly where you want them - this will be their home position.
Enable the Dragging behavior for these 6 fields
- Select one of the answer fields
- Go to the Properties for Text Field dialog
- Click on the Drag and Drop tab.
- Click the Configure button to access the Drag Object dialog.
- Select the Can be dragged at reader level and Object position when page is reset options as shown.
- Note: The Left and Top positions control the starting positions of the answer objects, which are also the positions to which they return when the page is reset.
- Return to the page and repeat for the remaining answer fields.
Add the actual Question Object to the page
- From the Questions category of the Catalog, drag the Drop Target 1 question object to the page. The Properties for Drop Target Question dialog may open automatically. If not, open the Extended Properties for the Drop Target question.
- From the General tab, select Button "Drop Target" from the Object that will act as a drop target drop-down list.
- Other options that can be selected on the General tab include Limit time and Limit tries.
Telling the question object which answers are correct
- On the Answers tab, click Add.
- Click the arrow for the Select or enter an object name drop-down list, and select the name of one of the six answer objects.
- To designate an answer as a correct answer, click on the Incorrect button (red "No" symbol) to toggle it to Correct (green checkmark).
- Repeat until all answer objects have been selected from the list.
Adjusting some of the question options
- Select the Allow multiple responses option.
When this option is checked, multiple items can be set to Correct or Incorrect in the Possible Answers list as well as by using the Add an Answer dialog. If this option is not checked, the learner will be able to select only one answer, even if multiple answers have been designated as correct.
- Select the Snap dropped objects to center of target, Cannot change responses, or Reject incorrect answers options if desired.
- Go to the Scoring tab and set the Highest possible score to any value you like. It will be 1 point by default. For this example, it will be set to 4.
- The desired weight of each answer is also set on the Scoring tab. The weight for each of the four correct answers in the example is set to 25%. Negative weights may be assigned to incorrect answers if you desire.
- From the Scoring and Tracking category of the Catalog, add a Feedback Field to your page.
- Add a Score this page button to the page, and open the Extended Properties for this button.
- On the Options tab, set the option for scoring to Rounded integer value. Note: In the configuration the feedback field will display the score value instead of delayed feedback text. If you want both a score and feedback displayed, add a Score field to your page.
- A Reset Page object can be added, so that the learner can change the selections already made or try various answers or combinations for practice.
- When the page is complete, make sure that the Drop Target object (the actual Question Object) is on the top layer of the page. To do this, select the Drop Target question object and from the menus choose Draw | Layer | Bring To Front
- Go to Reader level and be sure that the page is working as expected.
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Free HTML Help documentation generator